Thursday 19 November 2020

INSIDE THE TATTOO INDUSTRY RACISM with Alice Snape for IYNK

 



A few weeks ago I did an interview with Alice Snape editor at things and ink magazine to discuss the matter of race in the tattoo industry. 
The Black Lives Matter movement has slipped from social media and in turn the public censuses, so I was happy to have this interview and keep this conversation going.
As with most interview it got edited down when it finally got published. So in the spirit of UNABRIDGED I have decided to publish the full interview in its entirety.

*full disclosure I didn't know the interview would be published on IYNK.COM a tattoo booking app, I was not payed for this feature and the opinions in the interview are my own and had no outside influence at all. 
Lord 13/2    

Have you experienced racism as a tattooer?

 

Racism is everywhere. I know a lot of people like to think of tattooing as a shining liberal inclusive city on a hill, however it has the same problems as a wider community from outright racist name calling to micro aggression, I have seen and experienced it all. I know this is not a big traumatic story as I’m very aware people of colour have similar experiences and it can be retraumatising, so I’m mindful when sharing experiences. One thing that grinds me in to the ground, is when I have to a walk in and I have heard them talking to a white college normally you and I walk over to introduce myself to them and they switch to a "black voice",  yes I’ m black but I’m not a caricature from a TV show, I’m a well-rounded human being, speak to me properly with respect. 

 

 

 Have you found that tattooists have refused to tattoo dark skin? 

Is this about education and "traditional" apprenticeships? 

 

I have heard and seen many many times where artists have turned down working on darker, even non white skin or worst yet gaslighting the customer into getting a tattoo they didn't necessarily want, because the artist didn't have the knowledge or the skill to work on a variety of skin types.  

I’m not sure a traditional apprenticeship will help... an apprenticeship yes, a traditional one not so much, the idea of tradition has been a hiding place for a lot of the problems that are now coming to light.

I think it's about accepting your limitations as an artist and having the intellectual curiosity to want to learn and improve. Both in design and execution of the tattoo. As artists we just need to talk more. share information and push the art forward because tattooing isn't just for fair skin people it’s for everybody. We owe it to our customers to be better.

 

How about at conventions?

 

Conventions are really a mixed bag, I really love doing them but I always think it’s funny that people think the three foot wide table that separates them from you somehow acts as a soundproof booth.  We can hear the shit you're saying, you're just there. So, I get everything from customers doubting I’m the artist, who’s portfolio they are looking at, because they expect something more stereotypically associated with being a black artist.  

There are also people who straight up fetishizing my blackness and wanting to get some "gangster lettering from the “black guy". In those situations, the best you can do is talk to the people and try to get them to change their preconceived notions of what a black tattoo artist can do and can be.  

 

 Is representation a problem?

 

Representation is incredibly important because most people can't see something is possible until they see someone like them doing it.

That's one of the reasons I like doing so many conventions. Being front and centre, being openly black as I want to be, blasting whatever music I want and making tattoos you wouldn't necessarily expect from a black tattoo artist. Showing we are out here just in small numbers.

I’ve even had black people come up to me at shows saying they've never seen a  black tattooist before, I always find it hard to believe but if it's true then I know I’m doing my part.    



What can we do to make change?

 

That's the big question.

I think the key to all of this is conversation and education, I mean in 2020 if you're still saying there isn't a problem you have been in a coma or wilfully ignorant. 

There is so much information in the world just educate yourself and challenge your preconceived notions of race because pleading ignorance is no longer an excuse   

 

Do you think change is possible?

 

I have to think change is possible, I have been very lucky to have found people within tattooing who have encouraged me to be the person and the artist I need to be regardless of my background and race. 

The more the conversation keeps going the more people who step forward which makes tattooing a more inclusive place for people of colour, women and people in the LGBTQI+ community. The problem goes further than just race. Everybody has to have a seat at the table and have their voices heard to make tattooing the place we all need it to be. 

 

Do you think an official tattoo board of some kind might help?

 

I’m always torn with the idea of anything official when it comes to tattooing because having some kind of official place to lodge a complaint sounds good but who would be on this board?  When there's talk of putting together some kind of official council all the same old names come up, which doesn’t equate into any change as it’s the same echoed ideas and preconceived notions of what tattooing should look like in 2020.

I don't think the old guard can fix this, if they had any interest in fixing the issues and bringing in new ideas in relation to race/ gender/ gender identity/ sexuality they would have.

I think the only way forward within the wider tattoo community, artist, supply companies, venders and customers alike.

We all have a role to play in keeping the conversation moving and forcing the change needed for the tattoo community to move forward and stay vibrant.





Blog Archive